Built around 1842, Currock House is the oldest of
the Carlisle Community Centre buildings. The building and
surrounding land was purchased by the City Council with a view to a
housing development in 1931, over the next few years many people
were interested in the possibility of adapting the bulding into a
Community Centre and on 6 October 1934 the building was
officially opened as a Community Centre. This was believed to
be one of the first community centres in England, over the years
many alterations have been added however the main building
still houses many original features.
In 1994 a party was held celebrating 60
years of the Centre being a part of the Community of Currock and
both volunteers and staff look forward to many years ahead.
The Centre is run by a Voluntary Management
Committee who employ four members of staff for the general running
of the building and activities.
In the coming months we will have Dennis Periam
giving a talk on the History of Currock, we are gathering any
memborabilia on Currock and would ask residents to bring their
photos, newspaper cuttings etc to the Centre.